Cabbage Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
In a large pot
- 1 lb of hamburger (80-90% lean approximately)
- 1 or 2 chopped onions
- tablespoon of crushed garlic or 3-4 crushed cloves
- fresh sliced mushrooms if you want
Quarter one cabbage and then slice lengthwise thinly
- Add cabbage to browned and sauteed onions, separating pieces of cabbage if you wish
- Add you favorite pasta sauce--in my case one can of Hunts Mushroom Spaghetti sauce and one large or two smaller cans of tomatoes.
- 1/2 to one cup of red wine if you want
- Lots of dried basil (tablespoon), some dried oregano (4-5 shakes) , and a bit of celery salt (2-3 shakes) if you want.
Cook for an hour or two in the pot--until the cabbage is fairly soft and of the texture you want, leaving the cover off if there is too much liquid.
I think it tastes great and "tastes like cabbage if you like cabbage--doesn't taste like cabbage if you don't like cabbage." My son (5 y/o) even eats it and he thought it was "noodles." The cabbage bulks up the meal to the point that the sauce is not overly rich.